Is There a Perfect EV For Me?
With the lease on our 2013 Nissan LEAF due to end in June, I'm very focused on thinking about our next car. Of course it will be an electric car. Like almost all of the EV drivers I've heard from, I don't have any interest in going back to an internal combustion car again. For me, it is the fun of the smooth, instant, exhilarating torque of the electric motor. I love the way an electric car lets me quietly leap away from a stop light with a strong flow of torque that is uninterrupted by a shifting transmission. This special quality of an electric car gives many of us the feeling that we refer to as "the EV grin". And of course, the fact that I can drive an EV for zero fuel cost because of our home's solar panels is a benefit that's hard to resist. And there is very little cost or environmental impact of my driving an EV exuberantly, whereas driving a gas-powered car with enthusiasm is a costly, dirty and wasteful activity.
Being a lifelong car nut, I've always chosen sporty cars. The LEAF was the first car I've chosen for my daily driver in years that wasn't particularly sporty. When I first saw the LEAF concept car in 2009, I ruled it out as being too mundane and family oriented for me, and I resolved to wait for the perfect sporty EV. But as it became clear that the LEAF would be the only pure EV available for the next few years and as I got more excited about starting to drive electric as soon as possible, I made the decision to get our first EV, the LEAF, and I didn't get my sports EV, yet.
So Maybe a Sports EV Like This Concept That I Can Afford...?
First, let's make a list of the features I want on my next car. I'm going to include everything that I want, even if it's not available or not available all in the same car.
A - Quick acceleration, preferably 0-60 mph in 7 seconds or less
B - Good steering feel and great handling around corners and on fast highway ramps
C - Durable battery pack, preferably temperature controlled, for long lasting capacity
D - Four doors and room for two child safety seats in the rear
E - Hatchback and fold down seats for good cargo capacity, including a bike
F - Great, sports car looks
G - Adjustable regen strength including a strong regen setting
H - Comprehensive EV instrumentation including state of charge, power consumption rate miles to empty based on elevation and speed, consumption rate of ancillary systems such as heating
I - Heated seats and efficient, low power consumption heating and A/C
J - Driving range of 150 miles before recharge or range extender gas tank refill
K - Range extender acceptable as long as performance is always primarily electric for instant and strong torque
L - Onboard charger at least as powerful and fast as 6 kW
M - Programmable delayed charging for low cost off-peak power periods
N - DC fast charging capability
O - Power seats and fully adjustable steering wheel
P - Leather steering wheel and seats
Q - Comprehensive navigation system with charging station locations and traffic congestion display
R - Driver assist systems including blind spot monitoring, collision prevention assist, parking sensors and rear camera
S - Pedestrian alert sounds for pedestrian safety
T - The emotional "Gotta Have It" factor
And now lets list the EVs that are available for delivery in California by June of 2015. I'll leave out two door cars such as the Fiat 500 EV and the Smart, as well as tiny cars like the Mitsubishi iMiev and the Chevy Spark. These are too small to meet our family's needs. I'll also leave out plug-in hybrids like Ford's CMax and Fusion Energi line and the Prius PHEV. These models from Ford and Toyota are really just extended range hybrids with larger battery packs that plug in for more energy storage. They don't have the strong EV torque that I'm looking for, and their all-electric range is too small, only 20 miles or less.
- Nissan LEAF
- Chevy Volt
- Tesla Model S
- Kia Soul EV
- Mercedes B Class EV
- Ford Focus EV
- BMW i3 and i3 with Range Extender
- VW Golf EV
The letter codes after each listing indicate the features from my list that the car offers
Nissan LEAF
I'm currently driving a 2013 LEAF. For a married couple who run lots of errands and who often carry around two small grandchildren, the LEAF's size and hatchback design are perfect. I love the improvements that Nissan made for 2013, including the leather seating on the SL model, the faster on board charger, the stronger, selectable regen braking, and especially the four-camera Around View parking monitor in the Premium package. While I like the car very much and it has been durable and it meets most of our short range driving needs, its driving range is only about 85 miles when new, and my current experience with the car shows that the 2013 model still shows the problem of capacity loss with aging that our 2011 LEAF demonstrated. Nissan claims that a revised battery chemistry will solve that problem for 2015 and later LEAFs, but we don't have aging information on the 2015 cars yet. The LEAF lacks the driving range I'd like in my next car, and its acceleration and handling aren't up to the sports car standards that I'm looking for. And I'm ready for something different.
D, E, G (ish), H, I, L, M, N, P, Q, S Total = 11
Chevy Volt
Chevy Volt
I'm attracted by the Volt's electric driving range of 40 or more miles for a plug-in hybrid, the fact that those miles are all-electric, and the Volt's overall range, including driving on gas, is fine for our travel needs. But we often drive further than 40 miles a day, and I'd hate to revert to gasoline use very often. The Volt's acceleration isn't as quick as I'd like. The Volt's onboard charger is only half as fast as the 6 kW charger I'm looking for. I find the Volt's windows too small and the outward visibility is not as good as I want. I give the Volt high marks for having by far the longest electric driving range (AER) of any plug-in hybrid currently on the market, and the drive train is designed so that it almost always uses only its electric motor for propulsion. This gives the car the immediate torque that I'm looking for. When we replace our 2007 Prius, the Volt has a lot to recommend it as a replacement. I recently saw news from the Detroit Auto Show about the 2016 second generation Volt. It has improvements, including an expected increase in AER, better fuel economy when driving on gas, a bit quicker acceleration, and various convenience improvements. But the new Volt apparently still only has a slow 3 kW on board charger and small windows. It looks like a pretty bland and commonplace, though nice, compact sedan, but not the practical, multi-purpose vehicle that our Prius is. In any event, the Volt, even the 2016 Volt that won't be available until this Fall, is not the sporty, quick, long range EV that I'm looking for.
C, D, E, G (ish), H, J, K, M, P, Q (?), R (2016 model), S Total = 12
Tesla Model S
Tesla Model S
I love the looks of the Model S. Whenever one passes by, it always grabs my attention. Clearly, even in its base 60 kWh form, the Tesla is quicker than any of the other EVs and has enough range for our needs, and the availability of free fast charging at the Tesla Supercharger network is very compelling. But cost and size are the obstacles in the way of the Model S for us. After incentives, equipped the way I would want it, a Model S-85 would still cost us around $85,000 out of pocket, or maybe $10,000 less for the 60 kWh version, including sales taxes. Even if we could save enough money to make such a purchase possible, it's way more than we would ever think of spending on a car. The only reason that it's even on my list is that it's electric and it has almost all of the features that I want. The Model S is a lot bigger car than I'd consider otherwise. I tend to like compact cars that are easy to maneuver and easy to park. Driving such an expensive and beautiful car would probably make me nervous, especially one with an aluminum body that is expensive to repair. I'm not thrilled with the large touch screen in the Tesla. I much prefer dedicated buttons and controls that I can operate by touch.
A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, T Total = 19
Kia Soul EV
Kia Soul EV
The Soul is a well designed and complete new EV that does everything that the LEAF does, and adds plenty to the list. The Soul's driving range is a bit longer and there are heated AND
cooled front seats available. It has the same CHAdeMO DC fast charging format as the LEAF's. My problem with the Soul is that it isn't much, if any quicker than the LEAF, and the car's styling doesn't interest me. It's basically a box, and while some people find it cute, I find it boxy and unexciting. Many will disagree with me, though. The Soul EV should do well in the market.
C, D, E, G (?), H, I, L, M, N, P, Q, S Total = 12
Mercedes Benz B Class EV
Mercedes Benz B Class EV
The Mercedes comes close to being the car for me. It is roomy, classy looking, reasonably quick, it has a large battery pack sourced from Tesla, and it comes with lots of luxury features, including the only power seats of any car on my list except the Tesla. It offers adjustable brake regeneration, which I find attractive because my wife and I can adjust that feature to our differing preferences. My problems with the Mercedes are that it doesn't have DC fast charging, it isn't particularly sporty and it's heavy, so while it has a driving range of over 100 miles, it isn't as energy efficient to drive as some of my other favorites, notably the BMW i3. The acceleration times that are quoted in magazines are close to those quoted for the BMW i3. But the Mercedes is front wheel drive, and when in Sport mode, the two that I've driven spun their front wheels when I pushed them to accelerate hard from rest. I was able to eliminate the wheel spin by taking the car out of Sport mode, but that reduces the acceleration. I think that it would be a terrific and luxurious car for cruising around town and doing the type of errands and family driving that we do all the time, and I know a couple of people who are very happy with their B Class EVs. I just can't get excited about the car's bland style, its weight and inefficiency, and the lack of DC fast charging that would help us to take medium range trips. The car offers blind spot monitoring and other driver safety features that I like. I'm still considering the Mercedes, and I'll test drive a 2015 model before I make a final decision.
A (ish), C, D, E, G, H (?), I, L, O, P, Q, R Total = 11
Ford Focus EV
Ford Focus EV
The Focus EV has been available since 2011 and it is built on the platform of the current Ford Focus. The Focus is a very attractive, sleekly designed four door sedan. The Focus EV has specifications that are similar to those of the current LEAF; a similar battery capacity, similar driving range, and a similar 6 kW on board charger. I've driven the car and the steering feels very direct and responsive, but the car isn't particularly quick. There is no provision for DC fast charging, and because Ford had to modify an existing car platform, they were forced to reduce the car's cargo capacity in order to place some of the batteries. Because of the latter characteristics, I'm not interested in the Focus EV.
B, C, D, F, I, L, M, P, Q Total = 9
BMW i3
BMW i3 and i3 with Range Extender
The BMW i3 is a revolutionary car. Its carbon fiber and alloy construction is focused on lightness. It weighs hundred of pounds less than almost any other electric car. Because of this light weight, the i3 full electric (BEV) version is the most efficient car available in the US at this time. BMW also gave the i3 a torquey electric motor and rear wheel drive. This combination makes the i3 one of the quickest EVs available, with a 0-60 mph time in the mid-6 seconds according to magazine tests. The car has an upright stance and narrow 19 or 20 inch wheels for efficiency. The i3 doesn't look like it will handle well, but BMW has dialed in responsive and quick steering. The car's looks are polarizing. Many people say that they find the car ugly, but most owners of the car say that people constantly come up to them with admiring comments. I think that the car is interesting looking and that it looks far better in person than in pictures. In some colors, it looks like a concept car from an auto show.
The car's design includes a lot of my requirements, though I would rather see many details changed. I don't like the car's upright, high driving position. The rear-hinged rear doors, with their fixed windows are awkward and I'm concerned that the doors might be hard to get open after a crash since the front doors need to be opened before the rear doors can open. The car's battery is too small in my opinion, giving the car an electric driving range of about 80 miles of the kind of driving I usually do. The rear seating area isn't large, and only provides seating for two. During test drives at highway speeds I found the steering to be so quick and tight that it requires a lot of attention to stay straight in the lane, which isn't relaxing. The main instrumentation is minimal and the car currently lacks a state of charge gauge, though I hear that one is coming as a firmware update. I follow BMW i3 forums and Facebook pages avidly and while there are many very satisfied owners who report very few problems, it is safe to say that the car has had early reliability issues. I've seen reports of drive train malfunctions, failures of the on board charger (called the KLE) that caused BMW to dial back the charging power on the existing cars until a more durable KLE can be installed, which is now in the process of being done for the existing fleet of cars, a software issue that currently makes it difficult to achieve delayed low-cost charging, and an issue with the range extender programming in the US that causes speed reduction when the car is being driven on long uphill routes when the battery is depleted. BMW has solutions for most of these problems, which is reassuring and shows BMW's commitment to their electric car line, but I feel that most of these problems should have been eliminated before the car was launched, especially given BMW's long experience with EVs in their field trial programs. I also dislike BMW's lease pricing policies on the i3. Almost every other EV maker passes on the full $7,500 Federal tax credit into the lease as a capital reduction similar to a down payment. BMW's original lease policy included only $4,875 in lease cash. More recent deals included an increase to $5,500 in lease cash, plus further discounts. I expect to have to deal hard to get the kind of lease deal that I find acceptable.
BMW i3
But here are the things I like about the BMW i3. I like the car's efficiency. While driving any electric car is likely to be more efficient than driving any gas car and most hybrids, I'd rather drive one of the more efficient EVs. The car's light weight and rear wheel drive make it drive like a sports car. It can fly away from a stop light, making other cars look like they are standing still. It has a very small turning circle and it is easy to park. I happen to like the car's looks. I find it sporty and fresh looking. The interior is interesting, open, airy, modern and attractive. The interior materials are upscale while unusual, and I like the combination of textures and shapes. All models are available with DC fast charging using the new SAE Combo standard, and that feature is being made standard equipment for 2015. And the i3 is available as a REx model, which adds a small gas engine that drives a generator to provide electric power to extend the driving range to about 140 miles. The range extender will allow us to feel comfortable driving the i3 to its full electric range without concern about low battery charge, which should translate, paradoxically, to being able to drive more electric miles than we would the electric-only model. And that range can be extended by quickly adding a couple of gallons of gas indefinitely. So we could fairly easily take the car to San Diego and Santa Barbara. The i3 also offers technology and parking packages that provide active safety features that I want in a new car. With all of these features, and with a price that is much less than the Tesla that meets almost all of my requirements, the BMW remains my top choice.
A, B, C, D, E, F (ish), I, J (Range Extender), K, L, M, N, P, Q, R, T Total = 16
VW e-Golf
VW e-Golf
The Golf EV is the newest EV on the market. I've driven it once, but only around the block. The car handles well, offers SAE DC fast charging, and is roomy enough for our needs. But its zero to 60 mph time is reported to be about 10 seconds, which is only a bit faster than what I'm used to with the LEAF. Most magazine reports say that the car feels quicker than that acceleration figure would suggest, with the VW tuned to give a strong spurt of acceleration off the line. The interior and exterior styling are quite similar to the gasoline versions of the Golf, and the car seems to be designed to blend in with the crowd and not look like anything unusual. The VW does offer adjustable brake regeneration that is reported to be as strong as that on the BMW and the Tesla. But all things considered, I see the VW as very similar in specifications to the LEAF. It probably handles better and has adjustable stronger regen, but I don't find the package compelling. It doesn't have the "gotta have it" factor for me. I might take another test drive in the VW before I make a final decision.
B, C, D, E, G, H, I, L, M, N, Q Total = 11
So I see five top choices here. The Kia is just too slow for me, and its boxy looks just don't do it for me. For the five cars that are still in the running, in descending order of the number of points each car earned in my ratings, they are:
Tesla Model S
BMW i3 with Range Extender
Chevy Volt
Mercedes B Class EV
VW e-Golf
I'm going to eliminate the Tesla because of the car's expense and because I find the size of the Model S too large for our normal run of mall parking lots. With that beautiful and delicate aluminum body work, I'd be too worried about scratching the car. I'm eliminating the Volt because I want a longer EV range than 40 to 50 miles, though I'm keeping the Volt in mind to replace our 2007 Prius when we finally decide that it's served its useful life.
So now I need to fine tune my decision process by prioritizing the features that are most important to me. With this new car, I really want to be able to take the car on medium range trips of 150 miles or more one-way without having to wonder whether there'll be a problem with a public charging station. That means having a car with an EV driving range of over 150 miles or one with a range extender. DC fast charging capability would give the car several fueling choices and make it more flexible for trips like this. Another serious requirement of mine that relates to driving range is the ability to drive the freeways without hugging the right hand lanes, driving slowly to get where I'm going without running out of charge. Having a larger battery pack or a range extender would allow me to drive as I want to. And I would really like a car that has acceleration that can amaze me and put a grin on my face on every drive.
Of the EVs that remain in contention, the BMW wins for me. With the range extender engine, the car should be able to easily go 130 miles on the freeway and get us to some of our favorite destinations like Santa Barbara and San Diego. With that same range extender, I'd be able to drive the BMW as fast as I want and keep up with freeway traffic. And if I need to, I can fill up with two gallons of gas for a quick 50 miles of additional range. And as for acceleration, the BMW is one of the quickest EVs available, and I know that it will be able to put a grin on my face every day.








0 Response to "Is There a Perfect EV For Me?"
Posting Komentar